- Transport - the tube is great! Absolutely love it. The people here don't know how good they have it. They complain when they don't get a train every 5 minutes! Between the tube and the buses you can pretty much get anywhere in town. Also the fact that the density is so high every place is within walking distance of a bus or tube.
- Oyster cards - the integrated payment system for public transport. This is what NSW was trying to do and screwed up to the tune of AU$150 million. Why not just copy the UK version.
- Weather - yes I have to mention the weather. It's early spring and it's been COLD! It snowed on easter weekend and it's just warming up a bit now. Lots of cloud, rain and wind, but it's not too bad.
- As Russel Peters said "No wait! We're coming too!" There are Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis everwhere!
- Eastern Europeans too! Most of the service industry and construction industry is Eastern Europeans.. it's strange going to a pub or cafe in London and the staff can't speak English properly.
- The SIZE! Everything is so small. Houses are small, hotels are small, streets are small. Everything is packed into half the size of Sydney.
- The water! I knew it was recycled, but it tastes worse than last time. Chami didn't know the water was recycled until a few days after we got here. Water is also very hard, lots of calcium build up on everything!
- Food is surprisingly good and cheap. Much better than we expected. Guess the Chunnel has done wonders to bringing stuff from the continent - Spain in particular.
- Shopping is cheap! Specially clothes and stuff like that (well not if you're shopping at Harrods or Selfdirges or something like that.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
OK so we've been here for two weeks.. and it's long enough to develop a few ideas about the place. A few things come to mind :